Ask. Learn about consent.
If something happens “against your will”, it means you did not agree to it - you did not give your permission or consent.
It's time to talk about it.
Date rape is sexual assault committed against a boyfriend or girlfriend, acquaintance, or date. The relationship may be very new or long-term.
Deciding to have sex is an individual decision and always requires the consent of the other person. Sexual assault is never acceptable, even between two people who love each other.
Drugs, Alcohol, and Sexual Assault
Many acts of sexual assault involve drinking or doing drugs.
Even if you were drunk or high, sexual assault is still a crime. If the person who assaulted you was drunk or high, it is still wrong and a crime.
Can I give consent...
- If I am drunk or high? NO
- If I am asleep or passed out? NO
- If I am threatened or bullied? NO
- If the other person is someone in a position of trust to me (a teacher, neighbour, coach, boss, or babysitter)? NO
- If I am under 12 years old? NO
- If the other person is a family member? NO
Tell me more about consent
Sexual Assault is against the law, even if....
- You have consented to sex with that person in the past.
- You love the person who assaulted you.
- You have consented to some sexual acts, such as touching, but not others.
What are my rights?
Where can I find help?
If you or someone you know needs help, there are resources available.