Has your wireless device been lost or stolen?
What to do
- Call 424-7777 (or toll free at 1-877-629-9777) immediately!
- Information, Communications and Technology Services staff will be available to assist you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
- Change any saved password that your device had access to (Novell, GroupWise, GroupWise Messenger, etc.).
- Contact your Departmental
Information Access and Privacy Administrator or Manager of Privacy to report the device lost or stolen.
What not to do
- Don't WAIT… Confidential government data is at risk.
- Do NOT call your Carrier (Bell Aliant / Rogers) directly; Information, Communications and Technology Services Staff need your service active in order to secure your device.
- Don't take your Government phone, when you're not on Government business (i.e. vacation, sailing, to the local pub), unless you're required to.
- Wireless devices provide access to confidential government data (email, confidential documents, client information, etc.).
- If your device falls into the wrong hands, so does this confidential information.
- Public confidence in government is at risk, if they think we are not doing everything we can to protect our citizens' confidential information.
- We, as civil servants, are legally obligated to take reasonable security arrangements with personal and confidential information.
What happens next…
If the device is a BlackBerry…
- Information, Communications and Technology Services Staff will immediately send a "wipe" command to the device.
This will securely erase all data stored on the device - basically setting it back to
factory default settings. (Note: Any data stored on a BlackBerry media card cannot
be wiped remotely - this is why your BlackBerry should be password protected.)
- Information, Communications and Technology Services Staff will monitor the device to ensure the wipe command is successful - when this happens, they will contact you directly.
- It's possible that your device can not be wiped remotely, as the BlackBerry needs to be turned on for the wipe command to work.
- When your replacement BlackBerry (i.e. new device) is activated, we will lose contact with your old BlackBerry. For this reason, if you require your replacement BlackBerry to be activated before your lost/stolen device is wiped, you will be required to have your Deputy (or delegate) sign-off on activating the replacement device.
- When your BlackBerry has been successfully wiped, or you have sent approval to activate a replacement BlackBerry, we will proceed with replacing your device.
- You will need to contact your Departmental Telecom Representative or email us to order a replacement device.
If the device is a cellular phone or another type of wireless device…
- Information, Communications and Technology Services Staff will disconnect service with the Carrier (Bell Aliant / Rogers) immediately.
- You will need to contact your Departmental Telecom Representative or email us to place an order for a replacement device.
Your Departmental Information Access and Privacy Administrator or Privacy
Officer will help you determine what, if any, confidential information was at
risk and whether further steps need to be taken to notify others or to ensure
a similar incident does not occur in the future.
For wireless device questions and support, please call 424-5076, toll free 1-800-363-8989,
or email us during regular business hours.
For more information see our frequently asked questions page (FAQ).