Government Internet Policy
It is the policy of the Government of Nova Scotia that the interests of the Province with respect to its Internet presence are best served by maintaining a professional design and content standard on Government websites.
Communications Nova Scotia has the authority, and corresponding accountability, for maintaining professional design and clear, appropriate content on Government of Nova Scotia websites.
- To use the World Wide Web to provide Nova Scotians with clear, understandable, and timely information about Government of Nova Scotia services and activities.
- To ensure that consistent visual identity, application of graphic elements, and navigation standards exist throughout Government websites.
- To maintain an attractive and highly functional Internet presence for the Government of Nova Scotia.
- To ensure that editorial content is understandable, sensitive to cultural issues, and consistent with the corporate goals of the government.
- To enhance the integrity and promote the popularity of Government websites.
- Government World Wide Web information will be prepared according to established design and clear language standards.
Communications Nova Scotia will be responsible for:
- Developing and publishing design guidelines for Government websites
- Developing editorial standards, including clear language and editorial style
- Researching trends in website design to ensure that the design guidelines and content standards remain current
- communicating standards to all internal Internet users.
- Communications Nova Scotia will monitor and evaluate the overall design and content of provincial websites with respect to this policy.
- Communications Nova Scotia will advise departments, agencies and commissions of non-compliance with guidelines and, where necessary (and in consultation with departmental officials), make adjustments to bring the sites into compliance.
- The guidelines and policy have been approved by the Internet Focus Group. The IFG is an ad hoc committee of representatives from every department, who have an interest in Internet issues.