Province Invests $6 Million in Child Care
Published Tuesday, October 27, 2009
More families will have access to affordable, quality child-care thanks to a provincial investment worth $6-million. Community Services Minister Denise Peterson-Rafuse announced the funding, which will help child-care centres expand their facilities, creating an additional 300 child-care spaces across the province.
This is an investment in our children. Supporting children in their early years will result in stronger families and a province full of opportunities. Successful children build a successful province.”
Denise Peterson-Rafuse, Community Services Minister
To say we appreciate this support is an understatement -- it just wouldn't be possible without this funding. We are so excited. Spryfield is a fast-growing community and our new building will help us better meet the needs of families in our community.”
Kathleen Couture, director of the Edward Jost Children's Centre.
- Ms. Peterson-Rafuse presented Spryfield's Edward Jost Children's Centre with more than $1.5 million. The funding will help the centre build a second building, doubling capacity and allowing it to accommodate infants.
- Subsidies may be available for qualified families to take advantage of the 300 additional child-care spaces.
- Eleven other child-care centres across the province also received expansion-loan funding. A complete list is available at www.gov.ns.ca/coms/families/elccprogram.html.
- The loans are available to full- and part-day licensed commercial or non-profit child-care centres, and family home day-care agencies.
- The funding can be used to replace existing facilities or to help with the costs of adding more child-care spaces.
- Non-profit child-care centres are eligible for a 75 per cent forgivable loan, with the remaining 25 per cent provided through an equity contribution or a low-interest repayable loan from the Department of Community Services.
- Commercial centres are eligible for a 25 per cent forgivable loan, with the remaining 75 per cent provided through an equity contribution, third-party funding, or a low-interest repayable loan from the department.
- Funding for the expansion loans is provided through Nova Scotia's 10-year Early Learning and Child Care Plan. The plan originally committed to create 1,000 child-care spaces. Today's announcement brings the total to 1,350.
- Brooke Armstrong
- Community Services
- Cell: 902-499-8819
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org