Nova Scotia Environment will only use personal information for the purpose for which the information was obtained or compiled, or for a use compatible with that purpose, or if the individual the information is about has identified the information and has provided consent, in the prescribed manner, to the use of the information.
Personal information will not be provided to a third party without written informed consent of the individual, or in keeping with the privacy provisions of the Freedom of Information & Protection of Privacy Act (FOIPOP). Records containing the personal information of third parties as defined in the FOIPOP Act will not be disclosed by Nova Scotia Envrironment without the need for a formal FOIPOP application, unless the personal information has been severed, or prior written consent of the individual has been given.
Personal information is recorded information about an identifiable individual, including:
- the individual's name, address or telephone number
- the individual's race, national or ethnic origin, colour, or religious or political beliefs or associations
- the individual's age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status or family status
- an identifying number, symbol or other particular assigned to the individual
- the individual's fingerprints, blood type or inheritable characteristics
- information about the individual's health-care history, including a physical or mental disability
- information about the individual's educational, financial, criminal or employment history
- anyone else's opinions about the individual, and
- the individual's personal views or opinions, except if they are about someone else (S.3(1)(i) FOIPOP Act)
Access to / Correction of Personal Information:
The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act provides individuals with the right of access to, and the right to correct (PDF:57k), personal information about themselves collected by a public body.
Applications for access to information, or correction of personal information, in the custody and control of Nova Scotia Environment may be mailed to:
Department of Internal Services
PO Box 72
Halifax. NS B3J 2L4