Government of Nova
novascotia.caGovernment of Nova Scotia Nova Scotia, Canada
Life Events
Text Size:  A+ A-

Find an office

Click on the map to find an office location near you.

Find an Access NS Centre

Take me there

Before You Get Married

Nonresidents Getting Married In Nova Scotia

If you are living outside Canada or are from another province, contact a Deputy Issuer of Marriage Licences in the community in which you will be married for further information.

Getting Married in Another Country

If you are planning to get married in another country, you may require a Marriage Letter (also known as a Search Letter or Letter of Non-Impediment) confirming that there is no record of a marriage for you registered in Nova Scotia. You may obtain this letter by applying to the Office of the Registrar General. To get married in another country, you must contact the country's embassy or consulate for more information.

Domestic Partnership Registration

Two persons who are living in a conjugal relationship who wish to form a domestic partnership may make the declaration. The parties can be of same or opposite sex. This declaration must be made in the prescribed form and witnessed by one or more persons.

Special Occasion Permits