Government of Nova
novascotia.caGovernment of Nova Scotia Nova Scotia, Canada
Life Events
Text Size:  A+ A-

Custody and Access

Custody and Access Laws

When you separate or divorce, you must arrange for the care and custody of the children. A lawyer can help you to work out custody and access arrangements.

The following links will help you understand the laws of custody and access and will provide resources to help you make parenting arrangements if you separate or divorce.

Supervised Access

Where there are concerns for the safety of the children and/or a parent, the parents can agree, or the court can require, that access visits with children be supervised.

  • Court Services Division manages the supervised access program designed to reduce conflict and litigation in the family law matters:

Enforcing Custody and Access Orders

If a court order for custody or access or a separation agreement is not being obeyed, you can ask the court to enforce the order or agreement. The court can require parents to respect the custody and access arrangements made for their children. If they still refuse, the court can fine them or even send them to jail. If there are serious problems with custody and access arrangements, the court can make changes to the arrangements. A lawyer can help you with enforcing custody and access orders.

The following links will help you find information on enforcing custody and access orders.

If the child has been taken outside of Canada, the following information may help you on International Child Abductions and
the Missing Children's Registry.