First-Time Home Buyers Rebate
Nova Scotia's First-Time Home Buyers Rebate is a rebate equivalent to 18.75 per cent of the provincial portion of the HST or 1.31 per cent of the purchase price of capital stock in a housing cooperative, up to $3,000, on newly built homes.
This program is for newly constructed homes only and does not include renovations or conversions from rentals to condominiums.
Do I qualify for the rebate?
You will qualify for the rebate if:
- the newly constructed home will be used as your primary residence or where applicable, the primary residence of a relation; and
- the individual(s) (home owners or relations) that will occupy the newly constructed home:
- are the first individual(s) to occupy the new home after it was substantially completed; and
- have not owned and occupied a home in Canada in the last five years; or
- the home they owned and were occupying at the time was involuntarily destroyed within the last five years
Only one owner of a newly constructed home may apply for the rebate. If there is more than one owner, the other owners are considered to have received rebate for the home under the program. There is only one rebate for each newly constructed home.
What homes qualify for the rebate?
- homes* built on land you owned before construction started
- homes purchased with land; or a condominium unit
- manufactured homes purchased and installed on leased land
- purchase of a share in cooperative housing corporation
*Includes manufactured home installed on land you owned before the purchase
What is the deadline to apply for the rebate?
You have 24 months to apply for your rebate. See the table below for the date when the 24 months starts.
Home* built on land you owned before construction started:
Occupancy permit date
Home purchased with land; or a condominium unit:
Date of sale on your deed transfer documents
Manufactured home purchased and installed on leased land:
Bill of sale date
Purchase of a share in cooperative housing corporation:
Bill of sale date
* Includes manufactured home installed on land you owned before the purchase