''Old St. Patrick's R.C. Church, Brunswick St., Halifax, N.S., 1841-83''
The Charitable Irish Society's Minute Book, 1867-1883, describes the Festival of St. Patrick on 17 March 1873:
"The members of the Charitable Irish Society to the number of about 250 Assembled at Mason Hall on the morning of the 17th at nine ½ o'clock for the purpose of marching to St. Patrick's Church there to attend at the offering of the Holy Sacrifise [sic] of the Mass after the Gospell [sic], an eloquent Panegyric on the Patron Saint of Ireland was delivered by the Rev. Father Kennedy P.P. of Herring Cove after which a collection was taken up amounting to the Handsome sum of $117.00 in aid of the orphans under the care of the Sisters of Charity after mass the procession reformed and marched through the Principle streets back to Mason Hall.
The Procession was accompanied by the Band of the 63rd Volunteer Batalion [sic] of rifles and the Fife and Drums of the Garrison Artilary [sic]" [Minute Book, 1867-1883; MG 20 vol. 69]
Date: ca. 1880
Reference no.: Nova Scotia Archives Photograph Collection: Halifax: Churches: St. Patrick's R.C., ca. 1880