Nova Scotia Archives

Halifax and Its People / 1749-1999

"The noted 'Pryor Crew', Aug. 1871, training for great Aquatic Carnival, Halifax Harbour, 31 Aug. - 1 Sep. 1871, trained by Jerry Holland", August 1871

next

The Pryor Crew included [left to right, all seated in shell]:the internationally famous oarsman George Brown, Herring Cove; Thomas Hayes, Herring Cove; Warren Gray, Sambro; and Charles W. Nickerson, Sambro; and James McGrath, Prospect (the spare), standing with oars in boat-shed doorway [behind the shell], near the Royal Halifax Yacht Club House [upper left].The Yacht Club – now the Royal Nova Scotia Yacht Squadron – was located then on the Halifax waterfront, near the foot of Hanover Street in an area which is now part of Halifax Shipyards. When this photograph was taken, the clubhouse had only recently been completed.

Date: August 1871

Reference no.: Nova Scotia Archives  Photo Drawer - Sports Rowing - Pryor Crew, 1871  / neg. no.: N-0097