"Polo Team at Fort Needham", Halifax, ca. 1885
Polo was introduced into Canada with the organization of a club at Halifax by the officers of the 20th Regiment in 1878. It was played at 'Brucefield' on Quinpool Road (the present location of the Quinpool Court complex) and at Fort Needham in the North End. The game was not played exclusively by the military, and many of the players came from old established Halifax families: Duffus, Laurie, Morrow, Anderson and Stairs, to name but a few. After 1893, the local popularity of polo declined and it ceased to be played in the area.
Photographer: Notman Studio
Date: ca. 1885
Reference no.: Notman Studio Nova Scotia Archives no. 42939 / neg. no.: N-1200