"Halifax Police Court & City Hall (formerly Exchange Coffee House), City Market House (built 1851 or '58), and Market Square, at corner of Bedford Row & George St., Halifax, N.S., taken on a Saturday morning, July 1886, by Dr. G.L. Sinclair, looking NNE"
The Halifax Police Court and City Hall was built in 1810 as the County Court House; the court occupied the main floor, with the Exchange Coffee House on the first and attic floors. In 1841 the building became Halifax's first City Hall. The City Market Building was erected in 1854 from the designs of architect William Findlay. It later housed various city offices until the new City Hall was built on the Grand Parade. Then as now, Saturday mornings brought crowds of people to the Market.
Photographer: G.L. Sinclair
Date: July 1886
Reference no.: G.L. Sinclair Nova Scotia Archives accession no. 1992-319 no. 1 / neg. no.: N-1574