"Union Engine Company, No. 6 (Alma), in dress uniform, with No. 3 Steam Fire-engine and the old Hand Fire engine 'Alma' of about 1855; in front of Queen St. Engine House, 52 Queen St., Halifax, on the occasion of a firemen's tournament, ca. 1878"
An old, tumble-down building on Queen Street was transformed in 1878 into the Union Engine Company No. 6 Engine House. Designed by the City Engineer of the time, Edward H. Keating, the building still stands to-day, adjoining the entrance to Fort Massey Cemetery on Queen Street – no longer a fire station, but otherwise not greatly altered on the exterior.
Date: ca. 1878
Reference no.: anonymous Nova Scotia Archives Photo Drawer - Places - Halifax - Fire Department - Union Engine Co.