"Detachment No. 4 Co'y. 1st Regt. Canadian Garrison Artillery, Fort Charlotte, Halifax",1914
The Canadian Garrison Artillery was mobilized in August 1914 and the regiment was immediately detailed to occupy various defence posts around Halifax Harbour. During the war, nearly 700 officers and men from the regiment volunteered for overseas service. Those remaining were stationed in the damp, unsanitary and long disused fortifications around the city – including those on Georges Island. This regiment assisted civilian authorities after the Halifax Harbour Explosion in December 1917.
Reference no.: Schooner Books Nova Scotia Archives / neg. no.: N-6963