Results 291 to 300 of 1613 from your search:
291. Joseph Tinkham to Gideon White, in receipt of letter. The frame landed at Shelburne was satisfactory. "I got (soon after Mr. Miller arrived at Shelburne) a Minuit [sic] from the Clerk of the Court of the bills of Cost which had been paid in the different Suits which had been commenced in this Court on your Acct. and transmitted the same to Mr. Miller to enable him to Settle with any of those persons.." Recommends Elkanah Freeman, who goes to Shelburne to collect some money. Personal messages. Holograph.
292. James Gautier to Gideon White, in receipt of letter. Various details of White's business, which Gautier is conducting. Personal news and messages. Holograph.
293. Capt. Brownrigg to Gideon White on arrival from Chedabucto. The trouble he has had with McPherson and MacDonald (?) was partly responsible for driving him out. His and White's presence together at Chedabucto essential. Personal messages. Holograph.
294. Joseph Tinkham to Gideon White, in receipt of letter. Business and personal. "McClearn left this place soon after you, & went in the Country back of Halifax & have not heard from him since.." Holograph.
R. St. John
295. Monson Hayt to Gideon White, in receipt of letter. Reports on persons whom White considers debtors, but who deny that they owe him. Will be glad to help him recover any debts in the neighborhood. Holograph.
296. Wm. Abbott to Gideon White, in receipt of letter. He promises to take care of any letters of goods which may arrive for White or Mr. Kingsley. Signed.
297. Nathaniel Whitworth to his sister, in anticipation of sailing for the United States. Holograph.
298. Chas. Whitworth to Messrs. Champion & Dickason, announcing the arrival of the vessel "Eagle" with goods to the amount of £3580.11.3. The bohea tea is overcharged, since "it is selling in this Place this Day by single Pound Cheaper than I am Charged in London by Chest." Recommends to their notice Mr. Jarvis and Mr. Thayer who go to purchase goods for Shelburne. Holograph.
299. Eleazer Done to Gideon White, promising to pay his account late in September. Holograph.
300. Draft of letter from Gideon White to Thos. Melish, Jamaica. Directions with regard to his business on the island. He is to send rum, sugar and coffee owed by Maj. McDonald on to Nova Scotia; his agents are: John Prince in Halifax, Chas. Whitworth in Shelburne and Robt. Or Wm. Pagan in St. John. "You I suppose are Anxious to here what kind of Situation we are in - in this Quarter - be assured it is dam'd hard 'tho in the Course of a few years it will be a very Eligible Situation. I am here securing my little Land &c - but shall not build 'till matters are better Regulated - We have about 15,000 Inhabitants here and but very little Justice, Owing to the misconduct or folly of those in power - In this Town are 2700 Houses - Above 2000 are framed - And business will soon be sprightly. the Whale and Cod fishys. are now attended too - One Whaleman has Arrived with 500 Barrels - nex Year I expect to see great exertions - but at present every Man seems intent on a House, Wharfe, Stores &c." Chedabucto is one of the best situations. He has tried to have lands for Melish and several other officers in his regiment secured, but the Governor has decreed that no person can have land who is not on the spot. News of various friends.