Results 41 to 50 of 1613 from your search:
41. [Copy of] letter from Captain Cornelius White to Messrs. T., J., and Wm. Cochran, Halifax merchants. He relates his experiences since sailing from Halifax with a cargo of fish for the West Indies. Having sold his fish, some of which had spoiled, he loaded rum and sugar and set out to sail for home under convoy. The convoy having failed, he sailed to St. Eustatius where he was eventually obliged to sell both ship and cargo rather than be taken by one of the many privateers that infested the seas around the islands. He sold the rum at cost and the sugar below cost; he got 280 Johannes for the brig. Has transmitted the bills of exchange to Watson & Rashleigh in London, since West India Bills are risky and somewhat under par. Regrets that he has made such a bad voyage. His brother's ship has been captured and he requests the Cochrans to have him exchanged for one of the captains who are brought in to Halifax. Expects to be in Halifax soon, and will be glad to execute any commissions before he leaves New York. Compliments to Mrs. Cochran, George and Mr. Strachan and Smith. Postscript asking Cochrans to claim his brother's schooner if she should be retaken, and sell her for the most she will fetch.
Enclosure: Rec't for bills of exchange, below. Holograph.
42. Thos. Beamish's receipt for six bills of exchange which he is to deliver to Thos., Jas. And Wm. Cochran, Halifax.
[Enclosed in White to Messrs. Cochrane, above.] Signed.
43. Bill for attorney's services to Gideon White. Receipted.
44. Note of Matthew McClarnon that he will pay John Prince, Cornelius and Gideon White £2.18.9 Signed with his mark.
45. Nathaniel Whitworth to his mother. Personal and family matters. Holograph.
46. Insurance Policy for £200 on schooner Apollo, Gideon White master, for voyage from St. Eustatius or St. Kitts to New York. Unsigned.
47. Nathaniel Whitworth to his brother Charles, giving directions as to the young mare Charles will receive. Holograph.
48. Gideon White to Pelham Winslow. Business and personal. Holograph.
49. Papers allowing Gideon White to administer the estate of his brother Cornelius White. Holograph.
50. Colborn Barrell to Messrs. Brown and Michie. Business and Personal. Copy.