Results 71 to 80 of 83 from your search: 2008
827. Insurance policy for sugar laden on the brig Good Intent, taken out by Geo. Gracie, merchant, signed by nine subscribers and showing the amount subscribed by each.
882. 1. List of unrecoverable taxes in the April assessment, with names and amounts.
2. Similar list of taxes on absentees' estates unrecoverable by collector.
883. [Draft of] letter from [?] to G. H. Monk, relative to Indians. Since 100 of the militia have gone to Halifax there has been great uneasiness "in the minds of many people here with respect to the Indians, and Numerous reports are in Circulation of the Hostile intentions & Demeanor of the Indians…there is a Number of them almost every Day Beging about Town...as yet I have not been able to procure the wished for person to reside with & watch their Motions, nor have I been able to make any Progress in procureg a list of them. I have conversed with some of them on the subject of an American War these seem to wish to be Nutral at least so they expressed themselves to me." He thinks Government should provide them with a few necessities.
970. Order to Gideon White, J. P. from Jas. Dore to proceed as the law directs against Godfrey, who has sent a challenge to Scantlebury.
Overleaf: Oath by Jas. Dore to the truth of the facts stated in above order and that "the deponent prays the Peace of the said Thomas Godfrey and the said Scantlebury."
971. Thomas Godfrey to Gideon White, in answer to his letter relating to the action of Jas. Dore. Holograph.
991. Pass issued by the deputy Marshall of U.S. for Rhode Island for Mrs. Skinner and four others to proceed in a neutral vessel to Salem and thence to Nova Scotia. Holograph.
Below: note dated 20 Oct. 1848, by Cornelius White, that one of those persons mentioned is now his wife.
1092. Sarah White to her brother Cornelius. Family matters. She has been busy with her duties as secretary of the Female Religious Society. "This Society was set on foot by the Revd. John Sprott a presbyterian Missionary who came here to visit Mr. Dripps & congregation, it is called the Female Religious or penny week Society no subscriber being at Liberty to subscribe more or less than one penny a week." Episcopalians, Presbyterians and Methodists all belong to the Society. She asks her brother for a donation. Holograph.
1093. Gideon White to his son Cornelius, in receipt of letter. Family matters and general news. Holograph.
1111. Sarah White to her brother Cornelius. Local news, "…they were two men last week who call'd themselves play actors. They held forth in the Court House, I was there once but can't say I was much pleased with their performances except in part of two plays, one was Donald McIntosh's travels from Aberdeen to London, the others, part of the mad actor it has however given me a greater desire than ever to go to a theatre where I could see Macbeth, Hamlet, Julius Cesar, Coriolanus, Romeo & Juliet..." Family news. Holograph.
1195. Nathaniel White to his brother Cornelius. General and family matters. "The small-pox & typhus are committing dreadful ravages here & God knows whose turn comes next." Holograph.