Sheet 2: Mile 0 to Mile 6: Halifax to Prince's Lodge
Woodford's map shows part of peninsular Halifax, from near Admiralty House in the Dockyard to Birch Cove/Prince's Lodge on the western shore of Bedford Basin. Two blockhouses, three inns — Shaw's, Warwick and Rockingham -- a tan yard (facility for tanning animal hides) and a number of residences/properties are identified. Rockingham Inn, near Mile 6 at Prince's Lodge, was the site of the Rockingham Club, a sociable organization revived in 1818, which had started about twenty years before under the patronage of Governor Sir John Wentworth. On 6 June 1818, according to Dalhousie's journal, thirty civilian and military personnel dined there and "spent a very pleasant day, reviving the old & adding some new regulations." A week later, Messrs. Hill and Morris were returning from the Club when their horse ran off with the carriage which overturned and threw the occupants. Mr. Hill was "much cut" and Mr. Morris broke several ribs and had "alarming bruises."
Draughtsman: John Elliott Woolford
Reference no.: Nova Scotia Archives Map Collection: 15.1