Boat Harbour Remediation Project
Boat Harbour was once a tidal estuary. It has received industry wastewater since 1967 and was sealed off from the ocean in 1972. It is currently being used to treat wastewater from the nearby Northern Pulp mill. The goal of the Boat Harbour Remediation Project is to return Boat Harbour to its original state - that of a tidal estuary.
The project is in the planning phase until 2020. This phase is focused on scientific and technical planning studies, including:
- Phase 1 and 2 environmental site assessments
- Environmental baseline studies
- Geotechnical investigations
- Mi’kmaq ecological knowledge study
- Bench and pilot scale testing
- Remedial action plan
- Environmental impact assessment
- Remedial design options, including detailed design
The cleanup is expected to begin, at the earliest, in 2020.