Nova Scotia Film & Television Production Incentive Fund
Over the past several months, government has met with the film industry on a new Film and Television Production Incentive Fund.
The fund is designed to support five policy objectives:
Competitive Film and Television Industry
- Based on a program with proven success in Alberta
- Benchmarked against other provinces
Broad Economic Benefits
- Incentive for productions shot in rural communities
- Eligible costs for funding wide-ranging:
salaries and goods and services used by industry
- Requirement that film companies are permanently located in Nova Scotia
More Nova Scotians Working
- Requirement to have Nova Scotians leading multiple departments, in all aspects of production
- Incentive for hiring more than 60 per cent local talent, and in bigger (“principal”) roles
- Incentive for Nova Scotians in other key roles including post-production work, principal writer or director, Nova Scotia trainees, etc.
- $10 million budgeted – Taxpayers provide up to 32 cents for every eligible dollar spent on the production.
Accountability and Transparency
- Approved funding reported on the Department of Business Accountability website
- Audit requirement for large productions
- Protection for taxpayers against paying for cost overruns
For More Information
Nova Scotia Business Inc. is the province’s private-sector led business development agency. NSBI administers a range of programs to foster growth and increase exports in the private sector. This includes responsibility for the Film and Television Production Incentive Fund.
More information is available at