Government of Nova Scotia, Canada
Header - Service Directory

Use the Services Directory to quickly access information on all of the services provided by the NS Department of Finance and Treasury Board.

Insurance agents

An insurance agent is involved in the placement (selling) of insurance contracts. Both resident and non-resident insurance agents must be licensed in Nova Scotia. Licences are issued in these classes of insurance:

  • life (including accident and sickness)
  • accident and sickness only
  • general (other than life)
  • travel, accident and baggage

Insurance agent licences are issued for a period of three years. All agents (except travel, accident, and baggage) must meet specific requirements (completion of exams or courses, or experience) before being licensed.


How to get your Insurance Agent Licence

License Application

Before submitting an application for insurance agent license, be sure you meet the following requirements:

Class Requirements
Life Insurance Agents

Must successfully complete:

Accident and Sickness Only Agents

Must successfully complete:

General Insurance Agents

General Insurance Agents are subject to a 3 level licensing regime as per amendments to the Insurance Agents Licence Regulations instated 1 January 2007.

To become a General Insurance Agent you must pass the following, or have equivalent experience acceptable to the Superintendent of Insurance:

Level 1 – Successfully complete 1 of the following:

  • Fundamentals of Insurance (Provincial Exam).
  • Parts I and II of the General Insurance Essentials
  • Part I of the CAIB Program  (see IBANS or ITAC)
  • CIP Program Courses C11 and C130.

Level II – Successfully complete 1 of the following:

Level III – Successfully complete 1 of the following:

* See information on Grand-fathering Provisions for Existing General Insurance Agents (below)
Travel, Accident and Baggage Travel Insurance Agents must follow application procedures. There is no pre-licensing requirement.

Provincial Exams: LLQP Life, Accident and Sickness Insurance Exams

LLQP Life, Accident and Sickness insurance exams are now conducted online through Durham College.

You need to score 60% on the exam to pass.

LLQP Exam Registration (through Durham College)

To take the LLQP exam online, visit the Durham College website to register for your modules. Starting 13 September 2023, waitlist forms are no longer accepted. If you have any issues registering for your modules, contact Durham College at

Each module is $66, paid directly to Durham College when you register. More information is available on the Durham College website.

Submitting your Insurance License application

  1. Download the Individual Insurance Licence Application from the Insurance Forms page.
  2. Complete the application form and have it endorsed by an insurance company that is licensed to operate in Nova Scotia. See the Insurance Agent Licensing FAQ for tips on completing the form.
  3. If you are a non-resident agent, you must provide the Certificate of Authority issued from the jurisdiction where you reside.
  4. Return the completed application form to the address on the form with the licensing fee.

If you’re sending the application by courier, please send to the following address:

Finance and Treasury Board
Financial Institutions Division
Office of the Superintendent of Insurance
1723 Hollis St. 4th Floor
Halifax, NS B3J 1V9

Licence renewals
Licences are valid for 3 years. Licensed agents will receive a renewal form in the mail 45 days before your licence expires. Review the form, sign it and return it with payment.

Only use the renewal form if you don’t need to make any changes to the information you submitted.

If your sponsor has changed, you must re-submit the Insurance Agent Application form available on our Insurance Forms page. Check the FAQ page for more information.

General Insurance Exam - Level 1 (Fundamentals of Insurance)
General insurance exams are currently conducted online by IBANS. Visit the IBANS website for more information on how to register for the General exam.

Licence updates
To update your contact information, contact us by email or regular mail. If you need to change your sponsor, you need to submit the Agent Application. Check the FAQ page for more information.

    General Insurance Agent - Additional Information

    Grand-fathering Provisions for Existing General Insurance Agents

    Any individual licensed as a general insurance agent prior to December 31, 2006 will be deemed licensed as:
    • Level I general insurance agent if licensed for less than 2 years
    • Level II general insurance agent if licensed for more than 2 years and less than four years
    • Level III general insurance agent if licensed for more than 4 years

    Trust Accounts - General Insurance

    General insurance agencies, and independent general insurance agents are required to maintain a trust account to hold insurance premium deposits.  A Trust Account Reconciliation Worksheet (pdf) must be filed annually within 120 days of the fiscal year end. 

    See Insurance Agents Licensing Regulations.


    Orange Clock For more information

    Agent, agency and adjuster licensing enquiries:
    902-424-2787 or 902-424-7551

    Insurer licensing enquiries: 902-424-6331

    Fax: 902-424-1298