Information Access and Privacy
The Information Access website displays previously disclosed information access requests from 1 April 2018 and later.
You can browse, search and download information packages from the Information Access site.
Information on privacy breaches
- What is a privacy breach (PDF file, 64 KB)
- How to deal with a privacy breach of your personal information (PDF file, 52 KB)
- Managing a Privacy Breach: protocol and forms (PDF file, 1 MB)
- Privacy complaint form (PDF file, 43 KB)
Questions can be directed to email@example.com.
How do I apply to access information?
The online application service is currently unavailable.
FOIPOP Paper-based applications requests can be made by sending us a paper copy.
Step 1: Identify the information or records you want, providing as much detail as possible to assist us with our search
Step 2: Identify where the information you want is located. A request for information can be made for provincial government departments and other public sector entities.
Step 3: Put the request in writing. Complete the Application for Access to a Record form (Form 1) and submit by letter or email to the following addresses:
Send letter to:
Information Access and Privacy (IAP) Services
Information, Communications and Technology Services
Department of Internal Services
12th floor, 5161 George Street
PO box 72
Halifax, NS B3J 2L4
How to access information that has been previously released
The Information Access website displays previously disclosed information access requests from 1 April 2018. You can browse, search and download packages from this site.
If you’re looking for request packages from before 1 April 2018, please contact us at 1-844-424-2985 ( toll-free) or 902 424-2985, by email at IAPServices@novascotia.ca
Some records are routinely disclosed and can be accessed without a formal request. If you do not know if the information you want is readily available, or whether it requires a FIOPOP application, you can contact us and we can help you with your inquiry.
How much does it cost to place a FOIPOP request and how long does it take to get the requested information?
If you are asking for information that is not about yourself, you must pay a five dollar application fee (mail, or in person) to start the process. You will be contacted by the relevant department within a few days. There is no fee to access or submit a correction request to your own personal information. Additional fees may be charged for searching, preparing, copying and disclosing the records you are requesting. You will be provided with an estimate before we proceed.
Public bodies have 30 days to respond to your request for records. The law allows us to extend it up to 60 days if we need more time because a large volume of records has been requested or we need to consult with third parties.
If you are requesting your own personal information, most likely you will obtain your requested information.
If you are requesting administrative or general records, some of the information may be held back, as they may be exempted under the law from being released.
These exemptions include:
- Cabinet records
- Certain law enforcement information
- Records that could prejudice intergovernmental relations
- Records or information that include recommendations or advice
- Personal information that could invade the privacy of an individual
- Certain records supplied in confidence by a third party
- Most labour relations records
- Privileged legal advice
- Confidential business information
How do I get an answer to my FOIPOP related question?
Contact us toll-free at 1-844-424-2985 or 902 424-2985, by email at IAPServices@novascotia.cafor help with your request. We can answer your questions about process, help you identify what information is held by which public body or let you know if you can get the information you want without making a formal FOIPOP request.
How can I search previously released information?
You can search online at Information Access website. If you’re looking for request packages from before 1 April 2018, please contact us at 1-844-424-2985 ( toll-free) or 902 424-2985, by email at IAPServices@novascotia.ca
Public Bodies contact information
- Provincial government departments
- Agencies, Boards and Commissions
- Nova Scotia Health Authority and IWK Health Centre
- Municipal police
- School boards
- Universities and college
Where are the FOIPOP forms?
- Form 1 - Application for Access to a Record
- Form 2 - Request for Correction of Personal Information
- Form 3 - Consent to Disclosure of Information
- Form 4 - Consent to use Personal Information
- Form 5 - Agreement
- Form 6 - Notice of Disclosure
- Form 7 - Request for Review from a FOIPOP Applicant
- Form 8 - Request for Review from a third party to a FOIPOP application
- Form 9 - Appeal to Nova Scotia Supreme Court if no third party, or the third party consents to the appeal
- Form 10 - Appeal to Nova Scotia Supreme Court when Appellant is a FOIPOP Applicant
- Form 11 - Appeal to Nova Scotia Supreme Court when Appellant is a third party to a FOIPOP application