This consolidation is unofficial and is for reference only. For the official version of the regulations, consult the original documents on file with the Registry of Regulations, or refer to the Royal Gazette Part II. Regulations are amended frequently. Please check the list of Regulations by Act to see if there are any recent amendments to these regulations filed with the Registry that are not yet included in this consolidation. Although every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of this electronic version, the Registry of Regulations assumes no responsibility for any discrepancies that may have resulted from reformatting. This electronic version is copyright © 2009, Province of Nova Scotia, all rights reserved. It is for your personal use and may not be copied for the purposes of resale in this or any other form.
Dog Hunting and Training Regulations made under subsection 113(1) of the
R.S.N.S. 1989, c. 504
O.I.C. 87-1185 (September 29, 1987), N.S. Reg. 209/87
as amended up to O.I.C. 2005-238 (June 9, 2005), N.S. Reg. 120/2005
1 These regulations may be cited as the "Dog Hunting and Training Regulations".
2 In these regulations
(a) "Act" means the Wildlife Act, R.S.N.S. 1989, Chapter 504;
(b) "Department" means the Department of Natural Resources;
(c) "dog" means any of the species Canis familiaris;
(d) "dog trainer" means a person who trains dogs to hunt wildlife;
(e) "dog training area" means an area designated in a permit where field trials or dog training may be conducted;
(f) "field trial" means a trial of sporting dogs in actual performance;
(g) "night" means that period of time between one hour after sunset and one hour before sunrise.
Type of permits/fees
3 (1) The Minister may issue permits in the following forms at a fee determined by the Minister:
(a) Dog Field Trial Permit;
(b) Dog Training Permit;
Clause 3(1)(c) repealed: O.I.C. 97-523, N.S. Reg. 102/97.
(d) Raccoon Dog Night Hunting Permit.
(2) An application for a permit shall be on a form prescribed by the Minister which shall
(a) contain a description of the area in which the applicant proposes to train a dog;
(b) for any field trial, indicate that the applicant has obtained the permission of all owners or occupiers of privately owned lands within the area.
Clause 3(2)(b) replaced: O.I.C. 1999-369, N.S. Reg. 80/99.
Clause 3(2)(c) repealed: O.I.C. 1999-369, N.S. Reg. 80/99.
Subsection 3(3) repealed: O.I.C. 88-756, N.S. Reg. 159/88.
(4) The Minister may revoke any permit issued under subsection (1).
Dog training permit
4 (1) Subject to subsection (3), no person shall at any time from the first day of April to the first day of July following, use or train any dog in a wildlife habitat to take, hunt, chase or kill wildlife except in accordance with a valid Dog Training Permit.
Subsection 4(2) repealed: O.I.C. 97-523, N.S. Reg. 102/97.
Subsection 4(3) repealed: O.I.C. 97-523, N.S. Reg. 102/97.
(4) No person shall train dogs with the use of a firearm on the first day of the week, commonly called Sunday.
Subsection 4(4) added: O.I.C. 88-756, N.S. Reg. 159/88.
Field trial permit
5 (1) No person shall conduct a field trial for dogs unless the field trial is conducted in accordance with a valid Dog Field Trial Permit and under the supervision of the applicant for the Dog Field Trial Permit.
(2) A field trial for which a Dog Field Trial Permit is issued shall be organized and conducted in accordance with the conditions stated in the Dog Field Trial Permit.
(3) A dog field trial with the use of a shotgun using shot not larger than AAA may be held on the first day of the week, commonly called Sunday.
Subsection 5(3) added: O.I.C. 88-756, N.S. Reg. 159/88.
Section 6 repealed: O.I.C. 97-523, N.S. Reg. 102/97.
Raccoon dog night hunting permit
7 (1) No person shall take, hunt or kill or attempt to take, hunt or kill a raccoon at night in a wildlife habitat unless it is during the open season to hunt raccoons at night prescribed in the Fur Harvesting Regulations and unless that person
(a) is the holder of a valid Fur Harvesters Licence;
(b) is the holder of a valid Raccoon Dog Night Hunting Permit;
(c) has the consent of the owner or occupier of privately owned lands where such lands are to be used; and
(d) is able to demonstrate to the satisfaction of the Department that the dog to be used is capable of treeing a raccoon or is of a breed known to be capable of treeing a raccoon.
Clause 7(1)(d) amended: O.I.C. 88-756, N.S. Reg. 159/88; O.I.C. 1999-369, N.S. Reg. 80/99.
Subsection 7(1) amended: O.I.C. 91-834, N.S. Reg. 163/91.
(2) A person who holds a valid Raccoon Dog Night Hunting Permit may use or possess a light of any voltage while taking, hunting, killing or attempting to take, hunt, or kill a raccoon at night in a wildlife habitat in accordance with these regulations provided the source of energy for the light is not part of the electrical system of a vehicle.
Subsection 7(2) replaced: O.I.C. 2005-238, N.S. Reg. 120/2005.
(3) Any person who meets the conditions prescribed in clauses 7(1)(b), (c) and (d) and who is eligible to obtain a Fur Harvester’s Licence may train a dog at night from the first day of July to the last day of March, in any year, both dates inclusive, to hunt raccoons in a wildlife habitat.
Original subsection 7(3) repealed: O.I.C. 91-834, N.S. Reg. 163/91.
Subsection 7(3) added: O.I.C. 97-523, N.S. Reg. 102/97; amended: O.I.C. 1999-369, N.S. Reg. 80/99.
(4) No person shall hunt, take or kill or attempt to hunt, take or kill a raccoon at night in a wildlife habitat during the open season to hunt raccoons prescribed in the Fur Harvesting Regulations unless that person uses a dog.
Subsection 7(4) amended: O.I.C. 91-834, N.S. Reg. 163/91.
Hunting small game, coyote, fox, bobcat, bear
8 (1) Except at night, a person may use a dog to hunt wildlife not protected by the Act and small game, coyote, fox and bobcat during the open season for that species.
(2) (a) Except at night, a person may use a dog at any time to hunt a bear if, in the opinion of the Minister, the hunting of the bear with a dog is necessary for the prevention of damage to private property or injury to the occupant or occupier of land.
(b) Any bear destroyed shall be reported to the Department within twenty-four hours and the carcass shall be disposed of as the Minister may order.
Hunting methods and equipment
9 (1) A person who is training a raccoon dog at night shall not fail without reasonable excuse to prevent a raccoon from being attacked by a dog being trained.
Subsection 9(1) amended: O.I.C. 97-523, N.S. Reg. 102/97.
Subsection 9(2) repealed: O.I.C. 1999-369, N.S. Reg. 80/99.
Subsection 9(3) repealed: O.I.C. 88-756, N.S. Reg. 159/88.
Subsection 9(4) repealed: O.I.C. 90-842, N.S. Reg. 179/90.
(5) No person shall transport a firearm or bow in a vehicle to a designated dog training area, a dog field trial or other area where a dog is trained for hunting unless the firearm or bow is encased, as that term is defined in the Firearm and Bow Regulations made under the Act.
Clauses 9(5)(a), (b), & (c) repealed: O.I.C. 1999-369, N.S. Reg. 80/99.
Subsection 9(5) amended: O.I.C. 88-756, N.S. Reg. 159/88; O.I.C. 1999-369, N.S. Reg. 80/99.
(6) No dog trainer shall bring into the Province or have in his possession any dog that does not comply with the Animal Disease and Protection Act (Canada) and regulations made pursuant thereto.
(7) It shall be an offence for the owner of a dog, or person in control of a dog, while training it, to fail to prevent it from chasing or pursuing a deer or moose.
(8) Despite subsection (7), a person may use a dog to track and recover a wounded deer, moose or bear if:
(a) the deer, moose or bear was wounded by a person hunting it pursuant to a valid hunting licence for that species and in accordance with the Act and regulations;
(b) the hunter who wounded the deer, moose or bear is the dog’s handler or accompanies the dog’s handler during the tracking and recovery of the wounded animal; and
(c) the dog is on a leash that is held by the dog’s handler at all times when the dog is in a wildlife habitat.
Subsection 9(8) added: O.I.C. 2004-222, N.S. Reg. 162/2004.
Terms/conditions of permit
10 It shall be an offence for any person to contravene any term or condition contained in any permit issued under these regulations.
Section 11 repealed: O.I.C. 97-523, N.S. Reg. 102/97.
Repeal of old regulations
12 All regulations heretofore made by the Governor in Council respecting hunting with dogs are rescinded as of the 29th day of September, 1987.
Effective date of new regulations
13 These regulations shall come into force on the 29th day of September, 1987.