Be Prepared: First Aid Supplies and Services : NS Labour and Advanced Education, Health and Safety

Do my workers need first aid training?

There must always be at least one person at the worksite with a valid first aid certificate. The type of first aid certificate required depends on the type of worksite and the number of employees working there. You can find out what is required at your worksite by checking the First Aid Regulations or by contacting the Occupational Health and Safety Division of the Department of Labour.

Do I have to provide first aid supplies or a first aid room? What kind of supplies do I need?

Employers are responsible for providing first aid supplies at every worksite. The type of first aid kit you must provide depends on the number of workers at the worksite. You can find out what you need in your first aid kit by checking the First Aid Regulations, by contacting the Occupational Health and Safety Division of the Department of Labour, or by consulting your safety supply dealer. If your business is not an office and you have more than 100 workers, you will also have to provide a first aid room at the worksite.

I've got the supplies, but what do I do with them?

First aid supplies must be kept in a spot at the worksite where they will be clean and dry and where they will be accessible to your workers during all working hours. The supplies should be checked regularly to make certain that they are not expired or used up. You should also make sure that your employees know where to find the supplies if they are needed and how to contact the first aid attendant at the worksite.

What if somebody needs to go to the hospital?

As an employer, you are responsible for making sure that there a way of transporting an injured worker to the hospital safely and quickly. If the injured person may need help on the way, someone besides the driver must go with them.

Are there special requirements if the worksite is in a remote location?

A worksite is considered to be in a remote location if it would take more than 30 minutes to get an injured worker to an emergency care facility. If your workplace is in a remote location you must have a written remote location plan that shows how you will get injured workers out of the remote location and how you can communicate with workers at the worksite. Your plan must also list the first aid supplies that will be available at the worksite and specify the number of first aid attendants required at the remote location and their qualifications. A higher level of first aid training will be required for attendants at the remote location.

How can I learn more?

To find out more about the requirements for first aid supplies and services in the workplace, contact:

Nova Scotia Department of Labour and Advanced Education
Occupational Health & Safety Division
5151 Terminal Road, 6th Floor
PO Box 697
Halifax, Nova Scotia
B3J 2T8

Phone: (902)424-5400 or 1-800-9LABOUR (in N.S.)
Fax: (902)424-5640
Secure Enquiry Form

Single copies of related publications are available from the Occupational Health and Safety Division of the Department of Labour at no charge.

Some publications that may be helpful are: