Nova Scotia Wildfire Control Centre
Often referred to as "fire control", the wildfire coordination centre is staffed daily throughout the entire fire season. The centre provides a coordinated suppression effort, province- wide support for suppression activities, and maintains a state of fire preparedness as warranted by wildfire conditions.
We do this by:
- Assessing fire weather conditions by gathering the fire weather observations from across the province and applying forecast information;
- Producing and distributing the Provincial Fire Weather Indices, both current and forecast, for suppression preparedness and public awareness;
- Setting provincial alert levels for the aircraft fleet in response to the fire danger level;;
- Allocating resources provincially for fire suppression and crew support;;
- Responding to reports of wildfires from our aerial detection aircraft, the public through 911, the 1-800-565-2224 emergency line, and other sources;
- Processing requests for wildfire fighting support nationally and internationally.