Woodlot Owner of the Year Field Days
The Department of Natural Resources will host three woodlot events during September and October to recognize the provincial and regional winners of the Nova Scotia Woodlot Owner of the Year award.
"These field days are a great opportunity for the public to see the results of good forest management practices," said Natural Resources Minister Tim Olive. "We are pleased to recognize the extra thought and care that all nominees for the Woodlot Owner of the Year have put into their woodlots."
Les Corkum, of Falmouth, Hants Co., is the 2002 provincial winner. A two-day field event will be held on Oct. 5 and 6 on his woodlot at Windsor Road, Lunenburg Co.
Mr. Olive will attend on Oct. 6 to present the award to Mr. Corkum at a ceremony at 12:30 p.m.
Displays and demonstrations also taking place include:
- small-scale equipment demonstrations;
- commercial thinning and selection operations;
- a tour of old-growth forest;
- a tour of a u-cut Christmas tree operation;
- a visit to a historic water-powered mill owned by the Corkum family; and
- an interpretive walk that will include ox logging.
The eastern regional winner is Robert Glaze of Orangedale, Inverness Co. A field day is scheduled for Sept. 7 on his woodlot.
Earle Tanner of North Salem, Hants Co., is the central regional winner. A field day will be held on his woodlot on Sept. 21.
In addition to the various tours and activities, a demonstration of the new Wildlife Habitat and Watercourses Protection Regulations will take place at all three events. Admission to these events is free.
FOR BROADCAST USE:
The Department of Natural Resources will host three woodlot field days in September and October to recognize provincial and regional woodlot-owner-of-the-year winners.
The field days will highlight forest management practices on private woodlots.
Les Corkum, of Falmouth, Hants County, is the 2002 provincial Woodlot Owner of the Year. A two-day field event will be held on October 5th and 6th on his woodlot in Lunenburg County.
Natural Resources Minister Tim Olive will present the annual award to Mr. Corkum on October 6th.
The field days include organized tours and demonstrations of the new wildlife habitat regulations.
- Tim Whynot
- Natural Resources 902-384-3420 E-mail: email@example.com
- Bruce Carter
- Natural Resources, Lawrencetown 902-584-2229 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- John Gillis
- Natural Resources, Whycocomagh 902-756-2339 E-mail: email@example.com
- Don Cameron
- Natural Resources, Bible Hill 902-893-5629 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
nwc August 30, 2002 9:42 A.M.