News release

November Tourism Stats Available

The number of visitors to Nova Scotia has increased every month since June, with a total increase of two percent to the end of November.

"We're pleased with our tourism industry's performance in 2007 with increases in visitor numbers and revenues," said Bill Dooks, Minister of Tourism, Culture and Heritage. "With our refreshed brand, we're continuing to roll out our tourism plan in close partnership with the industry in order to attract and welcome more visitors in 2008."

Nova Scotia welcomed more than two million visitors from January to the end of November -- 34,700 more visitors than the same period in 2006. The number of room nights sold also increased by 46,000, a two per cent increase. The preliminary revenue estimate for 2007 is $1.33 billion, a two per cent increase over 2006.

The majority of visitors -- 86 per cent -- came from other parts of Canada, with 11 per cent coming from the United States and three per cent from overseas.

The downward trend of American visitors to Canada continued. There were 18,600 fewer visitors from the United States to the end of November. This was offset by an increase of 57,300 visitors from other parts of Canada.

About 69 per cent of visitors to Nova Scotia travelled by road, with the remaining 31 per cent arriving by air.

From January to the end of November, room nights sold across the province varied from a 10 per cent increase on the Eastern Shore to a six per cent decrease in the Annapolis Valley.

Nova Scotia's comprehensive system for reporting tourism statistics includes counting overnight visitors -- excluding Nova Scotia residents -- at all entry points to the province and gathering the number of room nights sold from all licensed accommodation operators.

Detailed tourism statistics can be found on the Department of Tourism, Culture and Heritage website at www.gov.ns.ca/dtc/pubs/insights . Statistics for December are expected to be released in late January.

FOR BROADCAST USE:

The number of visitors to Nova Scotia has increased every month since June, with a total increase of two percent to the end of November.

Room nights sold were also up two per cent year to date.

Eighty-six per cent of visitors came from other parts of Canada, with 11 per cent coming from the United States and three per cent from overseas.

Tourism, Culture and Heritage Minister Bill Dooks says he is pleased with the increases.

He says the department and the industry will continue to roll out the tourism plan and brand to attract and welcome more visitors in 2008.

-30-

Media Contact:

Adèle Poirier
Tourism, Culture and Heritage 902-424-4819 E-mail: