News release

December Tourism Stats Available

Nova Scotia welcomed almost 2,140,000 visitors in 2007 and increased revenues in the province's billion-dollar tourism industry by two per cent.

"Nova Scotia is continuing to hold its own with visitor numbers and revenue in the face of global challenges in the tourism industry," said Bill Dooks, Minister of Tourism, Culture and Heritage. "In 2008, we'll build on this success with our refreshed tourism brand and our tourism plan, which increases our focus on the Internet and cities with direct air access to the province."

The province saw a one per cent increase or 24,200 more visitors in 2007. The number of room nights sold increased by 44,100, a two per cent increase. The preliminary revenue estimate for 2007 is $1.33 billion.

The majority of visitors, 86 per cent, came from other parts of Canada, with 10 per cent coming from the United States and three per cent from overseas.

The downward trend of American visitors to Canada continued. There were 18,000 or seven per cent fewer visitors from the United States. This was offset by 45,300 or three per cent more visitors from other parts of Canada.

About 69 per cent of visitors to Nova Scotia travelled by road, with the remaining 31 per cent arriving by air. That represents a 22 per cent increase in air travellers to the province since 2000. Increased preference for air travel is one of the reasons Nova Scotia is targeting cities with direct air access to the province.

In 2007, room nights sold across the province varied from a 15 per cent increase on the Eastern Shore to a six per cent decrease in the Annapolis Valley.

Nova Scotia's comprehensive system for reporting tourism statistics includes counting overnight visitors, excluding Nova Scotia residents, at all entry points to the province, and gathering the number of room nights sold from all licensed accommodation operators.

Detailed tourism statistics can be found on the Department of Tourism, Culture and Heritage website at www.gov.ns.ca/dtc/pubs/insights . Statistics for January are expected to be released in late February.

FOR BROADCAST USE:

Nova Scotia welcomed about 2.1-million visitors in 2007 and increased revenues in the province's billion-dollar tourism industry by two per cent.

Room nights sold were up two per cent for the year.

Eighty-six per cent of visitors came from other parts of Canada, with 10 per cent coming from the United States and three per cent from overseas.

Tourism, Culture and Heritage Minister Bill Dooks says Nova Scotia is continuing to hold its own with steady increases in visitor numbers and revenue in the face of global challenges in the tourism industry.

He says the department and the industry will build on this success with a refreshed tourism brand and the tourism plan which focuses on the Internet and cities with direct air access to the province.

-30-

Media Contact:

Adèle Poirier
Tourism, Culture and Heritage 902-424-4819 E-mail: