Back to the Beaches for Nova Scotia Lifeguards
NOTE: A list of supervised beaches follows this release.
Warm weather means busy beaches and Nova Scotia’s lifeguards will be supervising swimmers starting Saturday, June 29.
“Nova Scotians enjoy our many beautiful beaches knowing that there are highly trained lifeguards,” said Lands and Forestry Minister Iain Rankin. “I encourage everyone to have fun at our beaches while staying safe.”
The Nova Scotia Lifeguard Service provides 82 lifeguards to supervise 23 beaches in 12 counties. Last summer, more than 370,000 people visited the beaches and more than 150 rescues took place.
“We are hoping for another safe season, but are preparing staff for any incident that could occur,” said Nova Scotia Lifeguard Service Director, Paul D’Eon. “All beachgoers are urged to swim between the red and yellow flags that designate the supervised area.”
The Nova Scotia Lifeguard Service and the Nova Scotia Branch of the Lifesaving Society supervise select beaches. They also guard some federal and municipal beaches. A complete list is available at http://lifesavingsociety.ns.ca/index.php/nsls-home/about-nsls/overview .
The Nova Scotia Lifeguard Service also helps government test water quality to ensure the safety of all swimmers.
FOR BROADCAST USE:
Warm weather means busy beaches, and Nova Scotia’s lifeguards will be supervising swimmers starting Saturday, June 29th.
Lands and Forestry Minister Iain Rankin encourages everyone to have fun at our beaches while staying safe.
The Nova Scotia Lifeguard Service provides 82 lifeguards to supervise 23 beaches in 12 counties.
Last summer, more than 370-thousand people visited the beaches and more than 150 rescues took place.
Provincial beaches with lifeguards:
- Clam Harbour (weekends only), Dollar Lake, Lawrencetown, Martinique, Queensland, Rainbow Haven beaches, Halifax Regional Municipality
- Heather Beach, Cumberland Co.
- Mavillette Beach (weekends only), Digby Co.
- Port Maitland Beach, Lake Ellenwood Beach and Lake Milo Boat Club, Yarmouth Co.
- Aylesford Lake Beach, Kings Co.
- Bayswater and Rissers beaches, Lunenburg Co.
- Melmerby Beach, Pictou Co.
- Bayfield and Pomquet beaches, Antigonish Co.
- Dominion and Mira Gut beaches, Cape Breton Regional Municipality
- Point Michaud, Richmond Co.
- Inverness and Port Hood beaches, Inverness Co.
- Ingonish Beach, Victoria Co.