Supporting Community Efforts in Doctor Recruitment and Retention in Lunenburg County
NOW Lunenburg County is receiving a $20,050 grant through the new Healthy Communities Stream to support community-led initiatives to attract and retain new doctors.
The community group will create a series of six online videos to walk doctors through the process of starting a life and practice in Lunenburg County. The videos will be presented as webinars enabling doctors to ask questions and receive responses in real time as the episodes are released.
“Government is pleased to support NOW Lunenburg County’s continued efforts in promoting its area as a great place to live, work and raise a family,” said Communities, Culture and Heritage Minister Leo Glavine. “This group has been leading by example and sharing its valuable insight and experience with other communities.”
Government launched the $200,000 Healthy Communities Stream in August. It was developed with input from community groups, municipal leaders, health professionals and the Nova Scotia Health Authority. The intent is to complement ongoing recruitment efforts by the health authority and government.
This grant will make a huge impact on our ongoing work to grow the population and specifically to attract doctors to our county. With the grant we will create a six-part webinar series to reach physicians all around the globe and inspire them to envision their life and their practice here in Lunenburg County.
Tina Hennigar, population growth coordinator, NOW Lunenburg County
- the Healthy Communities Stream was designed with input from Lunenburg NOW and other community groups, at a conference last spring at the Luneburg Academy
- the six online videos will explore a variety of topics for doctors including finding a home, schools for children, jobs for spouses and things to see and do in the area
- funding is available through the program to a maximum of $25,000
- municipalities, museums, libraries, social enterprises, First Nations, communities and community groups and cultural organizations that are registered Nova Scotia not-for-profits may apply
- the next round of applications for the program closes Dec. 1
For more information, visit, https://novascotia.ca/culture-innovation-fund-healthy-communities/
Nova Scotia’s Culture Action Plan: https://novascotia.ca/culture
Now Lunenburg County: https://www.nowlunenburgcounty.com/