Government is another step closer to construction of the Cape Breton Regional Hospital’s new emergency department, cancer centre and critical care department.
The construction management services contract was awarded today, Jan. 9, to Pomerleau Lindsay Construction Joint Venture, as part of the CBRM Health Care Redevelopment Project.
It will advise on the construction planning, management services of construction work, as well as scheduling to minimize disruptions to daily operations at the hospital.
Government also issued a tender to relocate one of the parking lots at the back of the hospital. The parking lot, which is closest to the building, has 238 spaces. The spaces will be moved across from Regional Hospital Boulevard on the Cape Breton Cancer Centre side to make room for construction.
The new emergency department, critical care department and cancer centre will be part of the new 190,000 square-foot building to be built at the back of the hospital.
Along with the expansion of the regional hospital, the CBRM Health Care Redevelopment Project also includes:
- building a new school, modern community health centre and long-term care home in New Waterford
- building a new, modern community health centre, long-term care home and laundry centre in North Sydney
- an expansion of the Glace Bay Hospital emergency department and surgical services
- the new emergency department at the Cape Breton Regional Hospital will be twice as large as the current one, with more exam and patient rooms
- the new critical care department will more than triple in size and have the intensive care, coronary care and intermediate care units all under one roof
- Cape Breton Cancer Centre will more than double its size with twice as many chemotherapy seats and new space for counselling and group sessions
- the expansion will be connected to the existing hospital building
- construction is expected to begin late 2020
- details of the parking lot tender are available at http://novascotia.ca/tenders/tenders/ns-tenders.aspx
For more information on the CBRM Health Care Redevelopment Project visit: https://healthredevelopment.novascotia.ca/