Government Releases Largest Capital Plan in Province’s History
Capital Plan 2020-21 invests the largest single-year capital funding in the province’s history. That means families and communities across Nova Scotia will have improved access to health care, schools, highways and public infrastructure.
A total investment of $1.042 billion was announced by Finance and Treasury Board Minister Karen Casey today, Feb. 18.
“Investments in capital across Nova Scotia will provide modernized facilities and infrastructure for today and future generations,” said Ms. Casey. “Through our focus and investments in health care, education, highways, and public infrastructure we will continue to strengthen our communities and generate economic activity.”
Highlights of the plan include:
- $154.4 million to support the QEII New Generation and the Cape Breton Regional Municipality Health Care Redevelopment
- $54.3 million for construction, repair and renewal of other hospitals and medical facilities
- $19.7 million to replace medical equipment and ambulances
- $265.6 million to build, renovate and purchase schools
Capital Plan 2020-21 also includes $385.3 million in investments outlined in the Department of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal’s Five-year Highway Improvement Plan.
- Capital Plan 2020-21 includes the design and construction of 16 schools and the purchase of 30 P-3 schools
- major infrastructure investments include a new NSCC Marconi campus, the Waterfront Art District in Halifax, and a road plan that includes twinning Highway 104
- the capital plan is subject to approval of the 2020-21 budget in the Legislature
Capital Plan 2020-21 is available online at: https://beta.novascotia.ca/documents/capital-plan-2020-2021
The Five-year Highway Improvement Plan can be found at: https://novascotia.ca/tran/highways/fiveyearplan.asp
The Nova Scotia School Capital Plan is available at: https://www.ednet.ns.ca/capitalplan
More information on the health-care redevelopment projects is available at https://healthredevelopment.novascotia.ca/