Government continues to move forward with the province’s largest health-care project to date.
EllisDon Infrastructure Healthcare was awarded the contract to design, build, finance and maintain the new Community Outpatient Centre in Bayers Lake, Halifax, which is part of the QEII New Generation project.
“The Community Outpatient Centre in Bayers Lake is an important component of the QEII New Generation project that will provide a more effective and convenient location for Nova Scotians travelling for outpatient care, treatment and diagnosis,” said Lloyd Hines, Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal.
“We were pleased with the quality of submissions from all three proponents. EllisDon is an experienced, highly qualified company that will deliver a high-quality outpatient centre on time and on budget.”
The Community Outpatient Centre will offer several services that do not require a hospital setting. Those potential services may include an initial visit with a specialist, post-surgery or post-treatment follow-up, blood collection and X-rays.
The total cost of the contract is $259.4 million for the design, construction and financing, as well as 30 years of maintenance. Construction will start this fall and is expected to be completed in August 2023.
Today marks a major step forward within the QEII New Generation Project. The new Community Outpatient Centre in Bayers Lake will provide Nova Scotians easier access to modern, high-quality supports and care, closer to home, for generations to come.
Paula Bond, vice-president operations Central Zone and clinical infrastructure
- the new Community Outpatient Centre’s primary users are intended to be those 40 per cent of residents living in rural communities, as well as outside the downtown core with easy access off the highways
- in May 2019, three companies qualified to bid on the Community Outpatient Centre: Bird Integrated Health Partners, Community Health Partners and EllisDon Infrastructure Healthcare
- the July 2020 Report of the Auditor General concluded that Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal completed a reasonable and appropriate analysis to select a design-build-finance-and-maintain project delivery model for the Halifax Infirmary Expansion and the Bayers Lake Community Outpatient Centre
- other components of the QEII New Generation project include: Halifax Infirmary expansion (new Cancer Centre, Outpatient Centre, Inpatient Centre, and Innovation and Learning Centre), Dartmouth General Hospital expansion and renovation and new and renovated operating rooms at Hants Community Hospital in Windsor
The new Bayers Lake Community Outpatient Centre will include:
- space for primary care services to be delivered by a health-care team such as doctors, nurses and other health professionals
- clinics such as physio and occupational therapy, high blood pressure, diabetes and orthopaedic assessment
- 17 examination rooms
- 24 dialysis stations
- diagnostic imaging (x-rays and ultrasounds)
- blood collection
- post-surgery or post-treatment follow-up appointments
- an expected 28,000 clinic visits and 30,000 x-ray and blood collection visits each year
For more information on the QEII New Generation project, go to: https://healthredevelopment.novascotia.ca/