Nova Scotia will receive about $289 million through the federal-provincial-territorial $19 billion Safe Restart Agreement. The funding will be used to protect Nova Scotians from COVID-19 while safely reopening the economy.
“This investment will help us restart our economy while keeping Nova Scotians safe and healthy,” said Premier Stephen McNeil. “Nova Scotia is working closely with the federal government and other provinces and territories to respond to COVID-19, and ensure individuals and businesses have services and supports they need to help ease the challenges.”
Over the next few weeks Nova Scotia will receive federal allocations in the following areas:
- $77.3 million to increase testing and contact tracing, enhance mobile testing, enhance provincial border entry control and monitoring, upgrade data management and other measures
- $30.9 million to support the health-care system with issues arising from a second wave of COVID-19 ($18 million) and expand access to mental health and addictions services ($12.9 million)
- $19.1 million for measures to control and prevent infections among vulnerable populations, including long-term care facilities
- $77.3 million to support Nova Scotia’s already established tracking and reporting system to continue to ensure an adequate supply of personal protective equipment is stockpiled and available
- $17.4 million to help child care centres provide personal protective equipment and support new cleaning protocols and public health measures to keep children and staff safe while operating during the pandemic
- $67.5 million to help municipalities address lower revenue from transit and taxes, as well as increased costs associated with COVID-19 infection prevention measures. This gives local governments the resources they need to continue to deliver essential programs and services for Nova Scotians.
The federal government will also invest $1.1 billion nationwide to fully fund and administer a COVID-related sick leave program for Canadians who do not have sick leave coverage.
- the $19-billion federal-provincial-territorial Safe Restart Agreement was announced on July 16
- most of the federal funding is being allocated on a per capita basis, or a base plus per capita basis and requires reporting and accounting of the federal dollars
- funding to be spent in the next six months
Federal news release can be found here: https://pm.gc.ca/en/news/news-releases/2020/09/16/prime-minister-announces-next-steps-safe-restart-agreement
Federal-provincial agreement to help Nova Scotians affected by COVID and restart economy: https://novascotia.ca/news/release/?id=20200716004
More support for Canadians through the Safe Restart Agreement: https://pm.gc.ca/en/news/news-releases/2020/07/16/more-support-canadians-through-safe-restart-agreement