Community-Based Homes for Nova Scotians Living with Disabilities Nearly Complete
Government’s commitment to move Disability Support Program participants into the community continues with the establishment of eight new small option homes across the province.
Two homes in Milton, Queens Co. and Meteghan, Digby Co. are built and preparing to begin operations this winter. In addition, two new homes are under construction in the Halifax Regional Municipality and expected to open in the spring. Over the past two years, four new homes have opened in New Glasgow, Isle Madame, New Minas and Yarmouth.
“Nova Scotians who live in community can be more independent, involved and included with their family and neighbours,” said Kelly Regan, Minister of Community Services. “These homes are part of our commitment to move away from large institutional settings to more community-based living.”
Each home has or will have up to four residents with disabilities. The location and design of the homes were based on needs of participants of the Disability Support Program and their families. The specific supports needed for each home vary depending on the needs of the residents.
The home has exceeded our expectations since it opened in September. Everyone is thrilled. We have individuals who have moved back into their home community and now have more access to family, friends and what the area has to offer.
Tracy Holmes-Carbonell, executive director, Yarmouth Association for Community Residential Options
- homes have opened in July 2018 (New Glasgow), January 2019 (Isle Madame), September 2019 (New Minas) and September 2020 (Yarmouth)
- a $5 million investment is being made for the eight homes
- the development of more community-based homes for people with disabilities is part of government’s commitment to being an accessible province by 2030
- small option homes are owned by service providers, who are responsible for the construction and operation of the homes
- there are currently 225 community-based, small option homes in Nova Scotia
Disability Support Program: https://novascotia.ca/coms/disabilities/index.html