New Chair Appointed to Workers’ Compensation Board of Nova Scotia
A strong workplace safety culture in the province requires a knowledgeable leader to oversee the Workers’ Compensation Board of Nova Scotia (WCB) and its important work in injury prevention, support for workers and their families impacted by workplace injury and the safe return to work.
The Province announced today, November 10, that Dartmouth business leader Saeed El-Darahali is the WCB’s new Chair.
“Mr. El-Darahali has a wealth of experience, is a respected business and community leader and is well suited for this position,” said Jill Balser, Minister of Labour, Skills and Immigration. “I want to congratulate Mr. El-Darahali on this appointment and thank the previous chair, Rodney Burgar, for all of his work.”
Mr. El-Darahali is President and CEO of SimplyCast, a Dartmouth-based technology company. He has more than 15 years of leadership experience and was named one of Atlantic Canada’s top 50 CEOs in 2020 by Atlantic Business Magazine. Mr. El-Darahali is also a director of EduNova Cooperative Ltd. The appointment is for a five-year term with the possibility of reappointment.
I am honoured to chair the Workers’ Compensation Board of Nova Scotia. The organization has an important role to play in supporting Nova Scotians injured at work during their journey to recovery, and in reducing the human and financial impact of workplace injury. I want to thank the outgoing chair and acting chair for their contribution over the years, and I am looking forward to working with the WCB team, the Department of Labour, Skills and Immigration, employers, workers, stakeholders and members of the board.
Saeed El-Darahali, Chair, Workers’ Compensation Board of Nova Scotia
I want to congratulate Mr. El-Darahali on his appointment and welcome him as Chair of our board of directors. It’s an exciting time for WCB Nova Scotia, and I look forward to working together in the years ahead. I also want to thank Rodney Burgar for his leadership as Chair over the last five years, and Robert Patzelt, for his work as acting Chair over the past few months.
Stuart MacLean, CEO, Workers’ Compensation Board of Nova Scotia
- WCB Nova Scotia provides workplace injury insurance to workers and employers in Nova Scotia and works to reduce the human and financial impact of workplace injury
- WCB promotes the prevention of workplace injury, but when it occurs, it provides security to workers and their families in support of healthy and safe return to work
- the Chair is a key leadership position and requires broad experience in governance and strategic leadership
- the board is accountable to provide effective stewardship and strategic leadership for the organization overall
- the Minister of Labour, Skills and Immigration is responsible for WCB-related legislation and regulations, and the Department works closely with the WCB
WCB Nova Scotia website: https://www.wcb.ns.ca/
WCB board of directors: https://www.wcb.ns.ca/About-Us/Board-of-Directors-and-Meetings.aspx
WCB strategic priorities: https://www.strategicplan.wcb.ns.ca/