Nova Scotians who are eligible for a COVID-19 booster dose of mRNA vaccine can schedule an appointment starting November 23.
The groups eligible for a COVID-19 booster dose in Nova Scotia six months after their primary series are:
- anyone 70 and older
- people who received two doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine
- frontline healthcare workers who were double vaccinated with an interval of less than 28 days between their first and second dose
Anyone who is eligible is encouraged to book an appointment online at https://novascotia.ca/vaccination . People who are unable to book online can call 1-833-797-7772 toll-free to schedule an appointment.
Booster doses will also be available soon in First Nations and African Nova Scotian communities across the province. Clinics will be organized in partnership with the communities, with support from local public health representatives. These communities will receive more information about scheduling when clinics are available.
Booster doses continue to be administered to residents of long-term care facilities across the province. Designated caregivers of long-term care residents are also included in the booster rollout if they received their second dose less than 28 days after their first and at least six months has passed since their primary series of shots. Eligible designated caregivers can schedule their appointment online or by phone as of November 23.
- to date, more than 3,000 long-term care residents have received a booster dose of COVID-19 vaccine
- third doses for moderately to severely immunocompromised people or people who are taking medications that substantially suppress their immune system became available October 4
- people who are required to travel for work to a country that does not recognize a mixed vaccine series may be eligible for a third dose to meet entry requirements or to avoid isolation requirements
Nova Scotia’s COVID-19 Vaccine Plan: https://novascotia.ca/vaccineplan
The National Advisory Committee on Immunization’s October 29 interim guidance on COVID-19 booster doses: https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/phac-aspc/documents/services/immunization/national-advisory-committee-on-immunization-naci/recommendations-use-covid-19-vaccines/statement-guidance-booster-doses/summary/summary.pdf