Grant Will Help Seniors Stay in Their Homes Longer
The Province is following through on its commitment to help seniors stay in their homes longer by investing up to $32 million each year in the Seniors Care Grant.
The grant provides up to $500 in funding for eligible Nova Scotians aged 65 years and older who need help around their homes. Covered expenses include snow removal, small household repairs, lawn care, grocery delivery and other needs.
“We know many Nova Scotia seniors face challenges staying in their homes, and often they just need a helping hand with small jobs here and there,” said Barbara Adams, Minister of Seniors and Long-Term Care. “This investment makes it easier for older Nova Scotians to maintain and afford their homes with the dignity they deserve.”
To qualify, older Nova Scotians must live independently in a home they own or rent and have an annual household income of $37,500 or less.
Applications open on December 1 and can be submitted online, by mail or by fax. The application will be available online at https://beta.novascotia.ca/apply-help-household-costs-seniors-care-grant . Print applications will be available at Access Nova Scotia Centres and MLA offices, or by calling 1-800-670-4357 to request that one be mailed. The deadline for applications is May 31, 2022, and funds can be used through November 30, 2022.
The government also offers support programs to help seniors with the costs of heating and property tax.
- only one grant of up to $500 will be available to each eligible household each year; seniors need to apply for the grant once per year
- people 65 and older who rent or own their home are eligible to receive the grant; the property or lease must be in their name
- eligible expenses are those intended to make the home safer and more comfortable, and may include services like home repairs, lawncare, snow removal, house cleaning services, and grocery and medication deliveries
- applicants can apply for incurred and expected expenses for household services and work, and need to keep receipts
- establishing a Seniors Care Grant for help with household services is in the Minister’s mandate letter
Seniors Care Grant eligibility, information and application: https://beta.novascotia.ca/apply-help-household-costs-seniors-care-grant or 1-800-670-4357
Heating Assistance Rebate Program: https://beta.novascotia.ca/apply-heating-assistance-rebate-heating-assistance-rebate-program
Property Tax Rebate for Seniors: https://beta.novascotia.ca/apply-property-tax-rebate-property-tax-rebate-seniors
Financial assistance and grant programs for homeowners: https://housing.novascotia.ca/programs/financial-assistance-and-grant-programs-homeowners
Mandate letter of the Minister of Seniors and Long-Term Care: https://novascotia.ca/exec_council/letters-2021/ministerial-mandate-letter-2021-SLTC.pdf
- Kristen Lipscombe
- Cell:902-220-8621 Email: Kristen.Lipscombe@novascotia.ca