More Nova Scotians can now book a COVID-19 booster dose.
As of today, December 10, the Province has expanded eligibility to include:
- anyone 60 years of age and older
- all frontline healthcare workers, including community healthcare providers who provide direct patient care, regardless of the interval between their first two doses
- all designated caregivers regardless of the interval between their first two doses.
Booster doses are administered at least 168 days after the primary series. People who received two doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine or the one-dose Janssen vaccine are still eligible to schedule a booster dose of an mRNA vaccine.
People under age 30 who are eligible for a booster are encouraged to get the Pfizer vaccine. The rare risk of myocarditis and pericarditis associated with mRNA vaccines appears more common after the Moderna vaccine than Pfizer.
Frontline and community healthcare providers should be prepared to provide proof of designation and are encouraged to bring their professional licence, work identification or letter from their employer to their appointment. Providers include:
- doctors, nurses, and continuing care assistants who work in community practice or provide care in the home
- dentists, dental assistants, dental hygienists and denturists
- pharmacists, pharmacy assistants and pharmacy technicians.
Anyone eligible for a booster dose can schedule an appointment online at https://novascotia.ca/vaccination or by calling the toll-free line: 1-833-797-7772.
- as of today, December 10, there are about 105,000 Nova Scotians age 60 and older who are eligible to schedule their booster dose
- booster doses have been available to people age 70 and older, those who received two doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine, and some frontline healthcare workers since November 23
- booster doses continue to roll out in First Nations and African Nova Scotian communities and long-term care facilities across the province
- since December 1, 25 per cent of children ages 5 to 11 have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine
Nova Scotia’s COVID-19 Vaccine Plan - booster doses: https://novascotia.ca/coronavirus/vaccine/#booster-doses
Rural Transportation Association: https://ruralrides.ca/