This week’s COVID-19 epidemiology report reflects continued virus activity and community spread. The number of new hospital admissions remains high. Age and vaccination status continue to be the two strongest indicators of severe disease and death from COVID-19.
“What we’re seeing in this week’s report is not unexpected. The pandemic is not over – and you can see that when you look at positive lab tests and hospitalizations in particular,” said Dr. Robert Strang, Chief Medical Officer of Health. “We are just now starting to see the impact of phase one of our reopening plan. We are at a critical period with phase three just days away. It is more important than ever to do the things we know will keep ourselves and others safe. Get vaccinated. Get boosted if you’re eligible. Wear your mask. Keep your social circles small and consistent. Stay home if you’re sick, and test to protect the people you love.”
From March 9 to March 15, 2022:
- there were 2,888 positive PCR tests performed at the lab
- there were 41 new hospital admissions due to COVID-19 and 23 discharges
- there were 15 COVID-19 deaths reported in Panorama during this period.
As of March 17, 2022:
- there are 38 people currently hospitalized for COVID-19 with a median age of 66
- of the current hospitalizations, 23.7 per cent were partially or unvaccinated
- the median age of COVID-19 reported deaths since the start of the Omicron wave (December 8, 2021) was 79 years and 24 per cent were partially or unvaccinated; this can be compared to the median age of COVID-19 cases, which was 40 years
- as of March 15, 2022, 87.1 per cent of Nova Scotians are fully vaccinated, 5.1 per cent are partially vaccinated, and 7.8 per cent are unvaccinated
- as of March 15, 2022, 63.2 of Nova Scotians 18 and older have received a booster dose.
New information has been added to the public dashboard this week, including epidemiology curves that show wave five trends in positive tests, hospitalizations, and vaccination. Weekly reporting is expected to evolve over the next several weeks. Future updates will be included in the weekly news release.
All reported COVID-19 data can be found at https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/204d6ed723244dfbb763ca3f913c5cad .
Information on Nova Scotia's three-phase reopening plan is available at: https://novascotia.ca/reopening-plan/
Book a COVID-19 vaccine online: https://novascotia.flow.canimmunize.ca/en/9874123-19-7418965