New Waterford is a step closer to a new school and community wellness centre.
Tender packages totalling more than $6.5 million for the construction of a new Breton Education Centre and community wellness centre were awarded today, July 8, to Brilun Construction Ltd., Flynn Canada Ltd. and PMC Roofing Limited. The work includes the construction of exterior walls and roofing.
“It’s exciting to see this unique project move another step forward,” said Public Works Minister Kim Masland. “The hub model will provide more exposure to healthcare careers for students and provide world-class healthcare into the future. It will also create better connections between seniors in long-term care and their community.”
The new Breton Education Centre and community wellness centre are part of the New Waterford Hub, a unique community model that also includes a new modern health centre and a 60-bed long-term care home. The project will replace the current Breton Education Centre and the New Waterford Consolidated Hospital.
The hub will create opportunities to share facilities and maintenance services. Construction is expected to start early fall.
- the New Waterford Hub is part of the CBRM Health Care Redevelopment project, which is the single biggest healthcare investment in the island’s history
- the new school will be for grades 6-12 and will house two gyms, a 500-seat theatre, food bank and community space for activities such as the Coal Bowl
- the community wellness centre will provide space for programs to support youth, families and seniors by offering a safe space for learning, socializing, physical activity and more
- many of the services at the New Waterford Consolidated Hospital will be available in the new health centre
- the New Waterford Hub also includes a state-of-the-art artificial turf field, walking track, tennis courts, grass soccer pitch, updates to the ball hockey rink and basketball court, as well as new outbuildings
More information on the CBRM Health Care Redevelopment Project is available at: https://healthredevelopment.novascotia.ca/