Legislation Supports Green Hydrogen Development
Amendments to several pieces of legislation introduced today, October 17, will pave the way for the production and use of green hydrogen as a clean energy source in Nova Scotia.
“Green hydrogen is a clean-burning fuel that can help with our transition to green, renewable energy in circumstances where fossil fuels cannot easily be replaced,” said Tory Rushton, Minister of Natural Resources and Renewables. “By updating and clarifying our legislation, we are positioning Nova Scotia as a leader in green hydrogen production and outlining a clear regulatory path for businesses.”
Existing energy-related legislation has regulatory gaps which could impede the safe development of hydrogen projects. Minister Rushton tabled two bills that will close those gaps, provide flexibility to develop this rapidly growing industry, and support the use of green hydrogen as part of Nova Scotia’s clean energy transition.
One bill amends the Electricity Act to expand the definition of wholesale customer to include businesses that are advancing green hydrogen projects. Currently, only Nova Scotia Power and municipal utilities are considered wholesale customers. This bill will also give the government the ability to create a new hydrogen innovation program to support the industry and ensure it is aligned with provincial climate goals.
The second bill amends several pieces of legislation. Changes include:
- expanding the scope of the Underground Hydrocarbons Storage Act to include hydrogen, ammonia, carbon sequestration and compressed air energy storage
- including pipelines built for hydrogen or hydrogen blends in the Pipeline Act
- allowing the Nova Scotia Utility and Review Board to also consider hydrogen as part of a gas distribution system under the Gas Distribution Act.
- there are currently at least six active green hydrogen projects in Nova Scotia
- they include four large export projects to deliver low-carbon energy to markets in Europe and two smaller projects for domestic use
Bills tabled in the legislature are available at: https://nslegislature.ca/legislative-business/bills-statutes/bills/assembly-64-session-1
Gas Distribution Act: https://nslegislature.ca/sites/default/files/legc/statutes/gas%20distribution.pdf
Underground Hydrocarbons Storage Act: https://nslegislature.ca/sites/default/files/legc/statutes/undhydst.htm