Update on Wildfires in Halifax Regional Municipality, Shelburne County
Westwood Hills, Tantallon, wildfire update:
- the wildfire, estimated to cover 788 hectares, is out of control
- crews on scene include 32 from the Department of Natural Resources and Renewables (DNRR), 170 from Halifax Regional Municipality (HRM) and seven from the Department of National Defence
- 30 HRM fire trucks, two DNRR helicopters and one water bomber from Newfoundland and Labrador also on scene
- winds expected to gust up to 40 km/h throughout today, so fire may spread further south
- various structures in the community may be damaged.
This is a rapidly moving fire. People are asked to please remain away from the area.
Other up-to-date information on the ongoing fire is available at https://www.halifax.ca/ and by following @hfxgov on social media.
Barrington Lake, Shelburne County, wildfire update:
- the wildfire, covering about 6,270 hectares, is out of control
- 40 DNRR staff, more than 40 volunteer firefighters, two DNRR helicopters and one water bomber from Newfoundland and Labrador on scene
- some structures have been destroyed and others are threatened, but there are no firm details on the numbers yet.
People are asked to please remain away from the area. Evacuation information is available at: https://www.facebook.com/shelburneemo
The next update on these fires is expected later this afternoon.
- people should not operate drones over a forest fire; drones can interfere with the suppression effort and pose a danger to aircraft and first responders
- people should only call 911 if their health or safety is threatened and they need immediate help; for non-emergencies in HRM related to the police, people can call 902-490-5016
More information and ongoing updates related to the wildfires is available at: https://novascotia.ca/alerts/