Update on Wildfires in Halifax Regional Municipality and Shelburne, Yarmouth Counties
Westwood Hills, Tantallon, wildfire update:
- the wildfire, estimated at 788 hectares, remains out of control
- 40 Department of Natural Resources and Renewables (DNRR) firefighters, and 80 Halifax Regional Municipality (HRM) and Department of National Defence firefighters on scene
- three DNRR helicopters also on scene
- winds expected to gust up to 30km/h throughout today, May 30, so fire may spread further this afternoon
- fire crews focused on protecting houses and other structures, reinforcing fire perimeters and specific areas of concern like hotspots
- the current estimate from HRM is about 200 homes and structures have been damaged.
This is a rapidly moving fire. People are asked to please remain away from the area.
Other up-to-date information on comfort centres, evacuation centres, response efforts, and more is available at https://www.halifax.ca/ and by following @hfxgov on social media.
Barrington Lake, Shelburne County, wildfire update:
- fire is out of control, covering 10,000 hectares
- 50 DNRR firefighters, 40 volunteer firefighters, three DNRR helicopters and two water bombers from Newfoundland and Labrador on scene
- some structures have been destroyed and others are threatened, but there are no firm details on the numbers yet.
People are asked to please remain away from the area. Evacuation information is available at: https://www.facebook.com/shelburneemo
Pubnico, Yarmouth County, wildfire update:
- fire is out of control, covering 59 hectares
- seven DNRR firefighters and one DNRR helicopter on scene.
The next update on these fires is expected later this afternoon.
- people should not operate drones over a forest fire; drones can interfere with the suppression effort and pose a danger to aircraft and first responders
- people should only call 911 if their health or safety is threatened and they need immediate help; for non-emergencies in HRM related to the police, people can call 902-490-5016
More information and updates related to the wildfires is available at: https://novascotia.ca/alerts/