Westwood Hills, Tantallon, wildfire update:
- the wildfire, estimated at 788 hectares, remains out of control
- fire crews are responding to increased fire activity in the Taylor Lake and Sandy Lake areas of Hammonds Plains
- due to a potential ammonia leak, residents from the following streets in Bedford are required to evacuate; Olive St, Bernard St, Estelle St, Lewis St, Farmers Dairy, Giles, Bluewater Rd., Topsail, Command, Gary Martin, Lasalle, Castlestone and Hammonds Plains Rd from the intersection of Giles to intersection of Larry Uteck Dr.
- 46 Department of Natural Resources and Renewables (DNRR) firefighters, and 100 Halifax Regional Municipality (HRM) and Department of National Defence firefighters on scene
- three helicopters also on scene.
This is a rapidly moving fire. People are asked to please remain away from the area.
Other up-to-date information on comfort centres, evacuation centres, response efforts, and more is available at https://www.halifax.ca/ and by following @hfxgov on social media.
Barrington Lake, Shelburne County, wildfire update:
- fire is out of control, covering 19,000 hectares
- 50 DNRR firefighters, 40 volunteer firefighters, four helicopters
- some structures have been destroyed and others are threatened, but there are no firm details on the numbers yet.
People are asked to please remain away from the area. Evacuation information is available at: https://www.facebook.com/shelburneemo
Pubnico, Yarmouth County, wildfire update:
- fire is out of control, covering 100 hectares
- 14 DNRR firefighters and several volunteer firefighters are on the scene.
Public school update:
All schools in Shelburne County will be closed Wednesday, May 31.
The following Halifax Regional Centre of Education schools will also be closed Wednesday:
- Bay View High School
- Tantallon Junior Elementary
- Tantallon Senior Elementary
- Five Bridges Junior High
- St. Margaret’s Bay Elementary
- Kingswood Elementary
- Hammonds Plains Consolidated
- Madeline Symonds Middle School
- Charles P. Allen High School
- Harry R. Hamilton Elementary
- Millwood Elementary
- Millwood High School
- Sackville Heights Elementary
- Sackville Heights Junior High
École du Grand-Portage in Lower Sackville, a Conseil scolaire acadien provincial school, will also be closed Wednesday.
This is the last update of the night unless there is a significant change.
- people should not operate drones over a forest fire; drones can interfere with the suppression effort and pose a danger to aircraft and first responders
- people should only call 911 if their health or safety is threatened and they need immediate help; for non-emergencies in HRM related to the police, people can call 902-490-5016
More information and updates related to the wildfires is available at: https://novascotia.ca/alerts/
NOTE: École du Grand-Portage was added to the list of school closures May 30, 2023.