Office of Workplace Mental Health
The Office of Workplace Mental Health helps create a positive culture of mental health and wellness, helps navigate employees to the resources and services they need in a confidential manner, and helps leaders and managers create safe and supportive workplaces. Our services are available to Government of Nova Scotia employees (including Crown Attorneys, Canadian Union of Public Employees 1867, and Nova Scotia Government & Employees Union members, as well as excluded positions) and employees of Nova Scotia Public Service Long Term Disability Board, Nova Scotia Municipal Finance Corporation, Innovacorp, Events East, Nova Scotia Lands, Nova Scotia Pension Services Corporation and Tourism Nova Scotia.
- providing a confidential service to employees
- enhancing the knowledge of mental health and wellness in the workplace
- connecting employees to resources, tools and supports that support their mental health and well-being
- helping managers talk about mental health with employees and understand their boundaries of support
- promoting early identification and support issues related to mental health and well-being
- improving employee skills to create healthy workplaces
- establishing partnerships with external community supports around mental health and well-being
Who we are
The Office of Workplace Mental Health has eight employees.
We have regional representation with three mental health experts located in the northeastern, western and central regions of Nova Scotia. These experts help navigate employees to the mental health and wellness resources and services they need in a confidential manner.
From 2018 to 2019 our priorities are:
- following the National Standard of Canada for psychological Health and Safety in the Workplace
- providing confidential mental health and wellness support
- providing issue-specific support for managers and employees
- enhancing partnerships with external community supports around mental health and well-being
- identifying and creating relationships with health systems, resources and supports
- helping managers talk about mental health with their employees and understand what actions they can take to protect psychological health and safety in the workplace
- creating a workplace that takes care of mental health and well-being
- sharing conversations about wellness at work
The Office of Workplace Mental Health is a partnership between the Public Service Commission, Nova Scotia Government & General Employees Union, Canadian Union of Public Employees 1867, Crown Attorneys and the Nova Scotia Public Service Long Term Disability Trust Fund.
- Nova Scotia Government & Employees Union
- Canadian Union of Public Employees 1867
- Nova Scotia Public Service Long Term Disability Plan Trust Fund
- Nova Scotia Crown Attorneys