Graduate to Opportunity
Graduate to Opportunity (GTO) is helping to build a stronger workforce and retain young people in Nova Scotia with a salary incentive that makes it easier to hire recent graduates.
Employers receive 25% of the first year’s salary – 35% if the new graduate is a member of designated diversity group – and 12.5% of the second year’s salary.
You can apply for the subsidy if you fall into any one of these categories:
- a small business with fewer than 100 employees
- a start-up company incorporated within two years of the application date
- a social enterprise, not-for-profit organization, or registered charity with recognized standing
The position must be new, permanent, full-time and pay at least $35,000 a year. You are not eligible for this incentive if you will receive other government wage funding for the position, although you may receive funds for related projects.
The graduate you hire must have successfully completed a post-secondary program within one year from the day you submit your application. (View the list of recognized post-secondary institutions.)
The program can’t consider graduate-employees who have been working for the employer on a permanent basis before the GTO application is approved.
Apprentices in registered trades aren’t eligible for Graduate to Opportunity. If you want to hire an apprentice, you need to apply for the START program.
How to apply
If your business is registered in the online Labour Market Programs Support System (LaMPSS), you can apply now.
Refer to the Graduate to Opportunity Program Guidelines for complete details
Before you start
When you apply, you need to:
- describe your organization and the role you wish to fill, including a detailed job description.
- attach a T4 Summary for the organization
If you want to hire more than one new graduate, you need to complete a separate application for each position.
How long it takes
Applications are typically approved within 5 business days.
The new hire can’t start work until the employer receives final approval.
Labour, Skills and Immigration
PO Box 697
Halifax, Nova Scotia, B3J 2T8
Phone: 902 424-6000
Toll Free: 1-800-424-5418
Fax: 902 428-2037
- Graduate to Opportunity Program Guidelines
- Lignes directrices du programme Graduate to Opportunity
- Graduate Information Form
- Electronic Funds Transfer (Direct Deposit) Form
- GTO Job Catalogue
- LaMPSS User Guide