There is ample opportunity for professional development and for building cultural competence through training offered by the PSC. Here are a few courses we offer related to diversity and inclusion -
- Diversity and Employment Equity - This mandatory, one-day course is an interactive introduction to diversity, inclusion, and employment equity in the public service.
- The Working Mind - provides participants with the practical knowledge and skills to address mental health and wellness in their work and home life.
- Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity 101 & Becoming and Ally – Part 1 explores the key concepts and experiences related to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex and queer (LGBTIQ) communities. Part 2 explores what it means to be an Ally and how to put the skills and knowledge into practice.
- Understanding the Aboriginal Context in Nova Scotia –explores how important it is to better understand Nova Scotia’s Aboriginal communities and how this knowledge improves your work.
- Acadie at a Glance - helps government employees better understand and appreciate the cultural identity and heritage of the Acadians and francophones of Nova Scotia.
- Intro to the Nova Scotia Gaels - helps public servants better understand government’s commitment to supporting Nova Scotia’s Gaels, their language and cultural resources and the work of the Gaelic Community.
- Respectful Workplace for Employees and Managers - develops the skills employees and managers need to keep their workplaces free from offensive behaviour.
- Language training (French and Gaelic).
- Recruitment and Selection – for hiring managers to understand and apply the Fair Hiring and Employment Equity Polices as they go through the steps of completing a hiring competition.
Visit novascotia.ca/psc/employeeCentre/training to register or for more info or check the training calendar.