Service Nova Scotia Banner
Government Home > Service NS Home > Nova Scotia Permits Directory > Department of Finance and Treasury Board  > Trust and Deposit-Taking Loan Companies: Incorporation and Licence
NS Permits Directory NS Government

Service NS Home

NS Permits Directory

Arrow Disclaimer


About the Department
Online Services
Services en français
Forms and Applications
Office Locations

Contact Service Nova ScotiaContact Us

Department of Finance and Treasury Board - Financial institutions

Trust and Deposit-Taking Loan Companies: Incorporation and Licence

Who Needs This Licence?
Any trust company or deposit-taking loan company which wishes to operate in Nova Scotia, or which wishes to incorporate in Nova Scotia.
Issuing Department / Agency:
Nova Scotia Department of Finance and Treasury Board .
Where can you get this licence and / or further information?

Financial Institutions Division
Finance and Treasury Board

Tel: 902-424-6331
Fax: 902-424-1298


Office Location:
Provincial Building
1723 Hollis Street, 4th Floor
Halifax, NS  B3J 1V9

Mailing Address:
PO Box 2271
Halifax, NS B3J 3C8

Application Forms & Process:
You can get an application form for this incorporation and licence by visiting, writing the Financial Institutions Division listed above or by downloading one from our Forms and Applications page on the internet.

An application package for the issue of Letters Patent to incorporate a trust or loan company is available from the Financial Institutions Division listed above. The package includes an application form and information on what documents have to accompany the application. When completed and submitted, along with the applicable fee (payable to the Minister of Finance), an appropriate review and investigation is made by the Department.

If all requirements are met and the application is approved, the Letters Patent or licence will be mailed to the applicant.

Applications are also available for:

  • Incorporation and Licence;
  • Letters patent dissolving the company or of amalgamation;
  • Change of name, place of registered office, restrictions upon the business or number of directors;
  • Approval by the Superintendent to amalgamate two or more companies;
  • Extra-provincial trust or loan company:;
  • Licence as a loan or trust company in Nova Scotia;
  • Letters patent of continuance and
  • Permission to amalgamate
  • New licence after amalgamation.
Waiting Period:

10 business days
Provided that all the items that must accompany the application have been received

Expiry & Renewal:
This licence is valid for up to 1 year covering the period from July 1 of one year to June 30 of the next. It can be renewed; the Department will send a renewal form to the licence holder before the licence expires.

The renewal application must be accompanied by the applicable annual fee.

Price:  (No tax is charged)
$6,634.75 for incorporation 

$1,326.95 for initial licence application fee 

There is an annual fee based on company assets (the minimum annual fee is $3,980.85).

Please pay by cheque or money order made out to the Minister of Finance.

Related Requirements:
The business must be:

(1) a member of the Canada Deposit Insurance Corporation;
(2) registered under the N.S. Mortgage Brokers and Lenders Registration Act;
(3) registered under the N.S. Consumer Protection Act; and
(4) registered with the Nova Scotia Registry of Joint Stock Companies .
Additional Information:
This Trust and Loans Companies Act regulates the eligibility of companies for licensing, as well as the activities of the company as they pertain to the safeguarding of consumer's deposits.

It also regulates the incorporation of trust companies and deposit-taking loan companies in Nova Scotia.

The minimum capital requirements for trust companies is $5 million and for loan companies $3 million.

Legislative Authority:
Trust and Loans Companies Act, Statutes of Nova Scotia, 1991, Chapter 7

image image
image image
image image This page and all contents Crown copyright © 2024, Province of Nova Scotia, all rights reserved.
Please use the online inquiry form if you have any questions, comments or suggestions.