Coronavirus (COVID-19): Forestry Sector Safety Measures Fund
The Forestry Sector Safety Measures Fund helps small and medium-sized forestry sector businesses deal with the costs of responding to the COVID-19 pandemic. Eligible business can apply for reimbursement of expenses related to COVID-19 health and safety measures. The deadline for applications is 26 February 2021.
On this page
Small and medium-sized forest sector enterprises are eligible.
Small and medium-sized enterprises are companies whose average number of employees over the last 12 months was less than 500.
Forest sector enterprises are companies whose primary business activities fall into one of these North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) codes:
- forestry and logging (NAICS 113)
- support activities for forestry (NAICS 113)
- wood product manufacturing (NAICS 321)
- pulp and paper manufacturing (NAICS 322)
Companies that provide goods or services to the forestry sector but whose primary activities don’t fall into one of these categories are not eligible.
Expenses are eligible if they were:
- incurred by a small or medium-sized enterprise in the forestry sector
- incremental expenses directly related to implementing COVID-19 health and safety measures (like personal protective equipment, handwashing stations, extra vehicles and accommodations in work camps, extra sanitization efforts and facilities for self-isolation in work environments)
- incremental, discrete, and distinguishable from changes in revenues or productivity (for example, lost revenues from reduced sales would not be eligible)
- incurred at a workplace or work camp (personal COVID-related expenses, like the cost of employees isolating at home, are not eligible)
Eligible expenses will fall in these categories:
- salaries, benefits, worker training and development
- management, professional and technical services
- printing, production, publication and distribution and other media services
- materials and supplies
- routine laboratory and field equipment maintenance
- transportation rental, operation and maintenance
- rental, upgrading or expansion of facilities
- machinery and equipment
- travel expenses including accommodation and venue expenses
- GST, PST or HST, net of any tax rebate the recipient is entitled to
This program uses federal funding from Natural Resources Canada. Reimbursement amounts are subject to the amount of funding available for Nova Scotia.
For each application, certain types of expenses will be prioritized for reimbursement. Read the program guidelines for a full description of how reimbursements will be calculated.
How to apply
- Complete the expense form and submit it by email to the Forest Sector Safety Measures Fund Program (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- After completion of the expense form complete the online application form.
The deadline for applications is 26 February 2021.
Other ways to apply
IIf you can’t complete the online application form, you can use the paper application form and submit it by mail or email.
Before you start
When you apply, you need to include:
- your detailed expense form (you should complete and submit the expense form before starting your application form)
- your Provincial Vendor number, if you have one
- whether you’ve previously received any payments from the Government of Nova Scotia
- copies of all supporting documentation, like receipts (keep your original receipts for your own records)
Forest Sector Safety Measures Fund Program
Strathlorne Forest Nursery
15039 Route 19, PO Box 489
Inverness, Nova Scotia B0E 1N0